Your Business on Google+
Last week, in the blog post, the subject was the new look of the Facebook business pages. And as promised, this week we take a look at the re-designed Google + business pages. And from the photo above, you can see they have made some changes.
Getting your business on Google Plus, is actually a little different than the Facebook side of the house. Because Google is primarily the “go-to” search engine on the Internet, during your business page set-up, you will be required to verify that you are a business. This can be done by having them mail you a postcard to the physical location of your business.
Google Your Business!
The starting place to getting your business on Google+ is the link Google My Business (http://www.google.com/business/). This will lead you to the page you see above. Like Facebook, Google+ is a free social media platform for both personal and business use, that allows you to post updates of text, video, photos, and links. At the moment, you can schedule posts on Google+ as you can with Facebook, but trust me, the Google+ team is probably already on that!
At the screen you see above, you can either sign into Google (this works if you already have a Gmail account), or click the Get One Google button and start from scratch. Either way, you are then presented with a screen of a map of the United States where you are asked to type in your business name.
As you can see, once our company name was typed, the location of the business appeared in the search box results. This is because we had created our Facebook and Bing listing earlier than our Google + page. If your business does not come up, do not panic, as the process to add it to the Google search results is quite easy.
“Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!”
There are really just five categories to choose from in setting up a Google+ page for your business:
- Local business or place – This includes any local business, place, store, or service.
- Product or Brand – This would include cars, appliances, electronics, or financial services.
- Companies – Here you choose company, institution, non-profit.
- Arts, Entertainment, or Sports – This would be wise if you like to create a page for your favorite book, movie, music or sport team.
- Other – If your business falls in none of the categories above, choose this one!
“Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself”
After selecting the right category for your business, you can than start to build your profile, business tag line (Ours is “Your Business is our Passion”), and add a profile photo. From here, when you click Continue, the process will seem very familiar to you. You will edit your page information, and a cover photo.
And now the fun begins..
The main difference between Google+ and Facebook is the way you interact with fan and other pages. In Google+ you create Circles in which to add people to decide what information you share with them. The default circles for business pages are:
- Team Members – Great way to share company only information.
- VIP – Friends, Family, and business partners.
- Customers – Use this to build a deeper connection by posting discount information and upcoming sales to this group.
- Following – See something you like, but can’t decide where to put it? Drop it here until it becomes relevant!
And that’s really all there is to it! Now that you have your page on Google+, spread the word about it in your place of business. Let people know that you are on Google+. Build your following and build your business.
Until next time, take care, take time, and remember – August 6th is National root Beer Float Day at A&W!
Content Marketing Creations
Google Plus Page: https://www.google.com/+ContentMarketingCreationsPortHuron
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/contentmarketingcreations